Sunday, November 8, 2009

Our Daring Adventure for Two

Jeff had a wonderful idea a few weeks ago that we should go to San Antonio for a weekend. I didn't have to work Friday so I dropped him off at work in the morning, packed the car in the afternoon, and headed to Dallas to pick him up and start the road trip to San Antonio.

But his Hyundai wasn't so excited about the road trip - and wasn't afraid to let me know.





Jeff's car had some problems this past week. Jeff looked at it with some guys in our ward who are good with cars; they figured it was the battery and replaced it. It seemed to be doing great...until it rebelled against Dallas traffic (I don't blame it too much). I suppose the little guy had decided he had enough - shut off while waiting for a light to change at the intersection & refused to start up again.

I would've laughed, except that I was blocking bumper to bumper traffic at a major intersection during rush hour. As I was on the phone with the police (trying to get some help since I was too shy to try to stop the traffic weaving around me to get someone to help push the car off of the road) an angel of a man appeared out of nowhere to help me. He gave me his paperback copy of the Bible to hold while he blocked traffic and then pushed the car out of traffic onto a side road. He was a missionary of a church, I'm not sure which one...I was so so so grateful for him showing up! He was an answer to prayer. Tears streamed down my face, partially from being embarrassed from driving a ghetto-mobile, partially from the reality of the trip facing major delays, and partially out of gratitude. He simply said, "Don't panic. Everything will be ok. Have a blessed day." And with that he was gone. He truly did bless my day.

Despite the odds, we decided that we still wanted to make the trip to San Antonio and took my Civic instead. It was hard to make the drive in the dark, but we made it there safe and sound at about 1:00am.

Speaking of ghetto adventures (that I LOVE):





The Microtel Inn wasn't exactly a 5 star hotel on the riverwalk. But it was a bed to sleep in. Which we were thrilled about (plus it accentuated the adventure).



I loved the empty picture frame in the elevator! It was definitely worth taking a picture of it.


Saturday morning we got up and went to Six Flags. Our season passes are transferrable with location & parking - free sounds good to me. And NO lines!



Beautiful scenery



And we found a new car




Then on to the Alamo...



The picture above is of the shrine dedicated to those who died in the battle of the Alamo. It really is amazing. They knew that they faced insurmountable odds, and yet they chose to defend their independence to the death. I really felt like I was walking on sacred ground, knowing how much they had given up for our freedoms.



And now where the Alamo used to be is completely commercialized & turned into any money-making scheme that one could think of. The shrine is, however, in the boundaries of where the Alamo used to be.


And on to the gorgeous river walk...



It was so beautiful! The perfect end to our weekend adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Trisha Wow what beautiful scenery. I would love to see San Antonio. That riverwalk is something!I love the empty picture frame. That looks about like the places we have stayed on vacations too. In one I stayed in like that I got a tick that had been in the sheets!!! I am sorry to hear about your scary adventure with the car. I would have been crying too!! I miss you tons!! Someday we are going to live our dream of living right next door to each other, and you can come to my house for Thanksging so that you won't have to make a Turkey which does sound daunting, but I know you can do it. You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete