Friday, March 9, 2012

Laurels that I love

This is a picture of a Laurel activity "chopped" at our house (there are more Laurels - these are just the ones that could make it to the activity). The girls were so creative. It was fun!

I am so grateful that I get to work with the awesome youth in our ward! I really do feel honored to be able to interact with them often and try to teach them and be an example. Really they are the ones who teach me most of the time. :)

I was called to be Young Women President last May. I was terrified. I always thought it would not be easy for me to work with the youth. Would I be able to relate to them well? Would I understand them & what they are going through & be able to deal with all of the challenges?

But it has been a huge blessing. I am not going to lie...sometimes it is challenging. Ok, usually. But we have been so blessed! :) Ryan and daddy have been able to spend some quality time together Wednesday nights or when there are other activities - which has been a blessing for them too I think.

I have learned so much about myself - mostly recognizing my weaknesses - which is a good thing & has taught me to rely on the Lord more completely. I have gained strength from the testimonies of the young women and their faith, I have cried tears of feeling overwhelmed on multiple occassions, I have cluttered our 3rd bedroom with Young Women stuff in a matter of seconds, I have felt true love and concern for the girls, I have felt honored to be with them - feeling of their divine potential to do so much good in the Kingdom of the Lord, I have text more than I did in the past 2 years combined probably, and through it all I have tried to hug Ryan a little tighter and remember that no matter how busy it seems at times there is only 1 calling I will never be released from: wife and mother (ok - I guess that is 2). :)

It has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me. How thankful I am for a patient, loving Heavenly Father that knows my strengths and weaknesses perfectly. How thankful I am that He trusts me to raise one of His spirit children, even with all of those weaknesses. How thankful I am that He trusts me to work with the amazing youth in our ward. How thankful I am for experiences that help us to learn to rely upon the Lord and find strength in Him. How thankful I am for the programs of the church. The Young Women Program is amazing! The whole purpose of the program is to help the girls to come unto the Savior and prepare to make and keep temple covenants and prepare for their future roles as wife and mother. The church is just amazing!

There are so many evidences to me that this is truly the Church of Jesus Christ on the earth today. Mostly because I feel it in my heart when I take the time to slow down and study the scriptures, turn to Him in prayer, and go to the temple. I love Him. In the past few years with Jeff doing night school, busy callings for both of us, changes in employment for Jeff, and a busy baby/toddler - I have learned that there is no substitute for spending time with the Lord. It is so easy to get swept away in all of the good responsiblities and simply crowd out time to study the scriptures, ponder/reflect, and pray. That is when things don't go as well. That is when I feel more discouraged and overwhelmed, less at peace. I have learned that there is a difference between a quick (or sleepy) reading of a few verses of scripture & slowing down to remember why I am doing what I am doing - and trying to come to the Lord. Sometimes it doesn't even take extra time - just extra attention, perspective/focus, and a little more effort and desire.

There is so much that is so good and beautiful in the world. I am just thankful to be a part of it all. :)

2 comments:

  1. hey beautiful!!:) I really needed this today:) thank you for sharing:) I miss you!!:) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trisha, I know this was posted a few years ago but I really needed it today. Thank you for your example and testimony! I am blessed to have an inspired friend like you!

    ReplyDelete