Thursday, September 23, 2010

Grateful

Ok...ok...so I know that I have been posting pretty often as of recently, and they are all baby pictures (almost). But he is adorable, and I want family to be able to see how he is growing and changing - so I'm trying to post weekly.

I suppose that this post is almost like a journal entry...but there is something about expressing some thoughts and emotions that helps you to remember it and somehow embrace it even more. And I can't seem to find my journal.

Ryan has been so much fun lately! He has always been fun, but he is starting to interact with us more now. He still sleeps a lot, but when he is awake he is playful. He has started to mimic some of our facial expressions or things we do. Jeff loves to stick his tongue out and in and out and in & then watch Ryan mimic it - it is pretty stinkin cute! When he is in a good mood (usually) he smiles back at us. Ryan that is. :-) He coos when he hears us talking to him.

...I had this realization the other night as I was trying desperately to pray before going to bed (I was SO tired!) that I need to be thinking more about Heavenly Father and praying throughout the day.

Well, yesterday while trying to encourage Ryan to take a nap in his crib I decided to sing some Primary songs to him while I rubbed his tummy. As I was singing "I am a Child of God" "Love is Spoken Here" and "Teach Me to Walk in the Light" I felt the Spirit so strongly. Ryan's eyes were fixed on me as I was singing, he was calm and seemed to be listening to every word. I wondered if he might be feeling the Spirit strongly as well. It was so interesting...as we felt the Spirit there in his bedroom (at least I think he did too) I felt like we bonded. I didn't even know that this could happen - but I felt like my love for him increased 10 fold. The rest of the day he seemed to respond to me more and interact with me more as well. It was fascinating! I guess I've always known that when you feel the Spirit together with your spouse then your relationship grows closer, but I guess I never realized that this could be possible with a newborn. But it makes perfect sense - since they are so perfect, pure, and recently from Heaven.

The rest of the day I found myself often thinking of Heavenly Father and His love for me. It just came - effortlessly. And I felt like a good mom yesterday...I'm so thankful for Heavenly Father, that He knows our hearts and He loves us even with all of our shortcomings. He is so merciful and kind. I hope to be that kind of parent as well.


The picture of the week:
(and no, he doesn't sleep on a pillow - I just propped it under his head for the picture)


I know...I know...I keep saying that he is smiling more and is playful & then all you get are pictures of him sleeping still. I promise to get some more of him smiling - but sometimes they're hard to catch!

P.S. For those of you wondering...it did finally stop raining. I guess Oso Creek (not far from our house) flooded on Sunday and that was part of the problem. I was glad that Ryan and I got home from church safely! I felt like the Accord was like a little boat just riding along the water, but obviously you can't stop. I think there was about a foot of water on the roads at certain spots. I warned Jeff, who had a meeting after church - so he got a ride from someone in a truck & we left the Civic at the church until the roads cleared. He got home about an hour after me - there was about 2 feet of water on the road at that point & some cars were stuck. Since then it has only been raining off and on - but no more major street flooding...Between that and the "fender bender" Jeff was in last Friday - we have been feeling very protected & watched over!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that story. It's good to hear your stories, because sometimes I lose my temper so much with my toddler that I feel like I drive the spirit away. But as you look at them, you realize that it's just ridiculous to ever be upset and that they are a special package from Heaven. Ryan is cute but you really don't post many pictures! You could do with a lot more and a couple with some eyes open!

    ReplyDelete